This Wednesday 5th November is National Stress Awareness Day and we all know that moving home is one of the most stressful things you can do. With high costs, uncertainty, a lack of control and significant emotional involvement, buying and selling a property can be one of the best things you ever did, but getting there can feel like an endless journey.
Here are our top tips to make sure your next move is as stress free as possible:
- Set realistic expectations – for both yourself and the process. Pinning your hopes on a beautiful house that you just can’t afford, or being in a new home for Christmas with just 4 weeks to go are likely to leave you disappointed. Take the time to work out what a realistic budget is for your next home and the kind of timescale you hope to move in.
- Choose the right estate agent – make sure you get valuations from at least 3 estate agents and don’t always go with the one that offers you the highest price for your home – they might not be able to deliver it. Always check the small print to ensure you are not being tied into a long contract with an underperforming agent. Above all, find someone that you feel comfortable with working with during what can be a stressful time.
- Be flexible and open minded. Just because you have a dream house in mind and a south facing garden is an absolute must, don’t always discard other properties that agents might suggest. Sometimes something that doesn’t look ideal on paper can actually turn out to be exactly what you were looking for. The same applies when it comes to price – you may have a particular figure in your head for what you think your property is worth, but if you aren’t getting the viewings or the offers in then you may need to reconsider.
- Choose the right solicitor – the right solicitor can make or break a sale so talk to family and friends for recommendations. Don’t always choose the cheapest solicitor – choose one that you feel confident can actually get the job done, as smoothly as possible.
- Stay positive! Buying and selling houses may be a stressful process but with the right preparation and partners you can make it as stress free as possible. Once you are settled in your new home it will all have been worth it.
We would be delighted to help you sell your property and pride ourselves on providing a smooth, stress free service – that also saves you thousands in agency fees. Our customers clearly agree as Mr Quick from Fleet said: “Fantastic service. We had a buyer within a matter of a week – a smooth transaction throughout. Thank you for making it hassle free.”
We would be delighted to give you a free, no obligation valuation and can sell your property from as little as £499 or 0.5%+VAT so give us a call on 01252 819725.