Traditionally springtime has always been a great time to sell your home. A season of new beginnings, time is on our side with warmer, longer days, so prospective buyers have plenty of time to get out and about to view properties. Gardens are coming into full bloom, and bright, sunny light ensures properties look at their best. It’s a great time of year to sell.
This year the Spring selling market is a hive of activity and could be one of the most active markets we have ever seen before, with Rightmove reporting the strongest spring housing market for sellers in a decade. The portal announced home movers set a new record last month with over 9.1 million visits made to its site in just one day, an average of 6,320 visits every minute. In addition to the highest number of property, sales agreed over the past decade occurring on Tuesday 23rd March.
It’s thought that this is the best seller’s market in 10 years, with property sales reportedly up 30% year on year. So why the sudden Spring surge in buyer demand? A combination of lockdown easing, the extension of the stamp duty holiday and the new government-backed 95% mortgage scheme has seemingly created the optimum conditions for prospective buyers to look to move. Prospective buyer’s pursuit of more space in new surroundings is fuelling the market, with prices rising for the right property in the right location. Therefore, it’s a great time to sell and achieve a good price and a speedy sale.
So, what can you do to take advantage of these favourable selling conditions this Spring? Follow our simple to-do checklist to get your house market-ready in no time at all.
C4H Spring-Sale To-do Checklist
- Store kitchen utensils and pans in cupboards where possible
- Clean washing up area ensure sink sparkles
- Tidy bedrooms and make all the beds.
- Clear away toys, piles of laundry and shoes
- Remove excess ornaments, trinkets, think blank canvas
- Vacuum all carpets
- Clean all windows to let in as much light in as possible
- Wipe down blinds and/or wash curtains
- Dust all surfaces
- Mop all hard floors
- Wipe down all bathroom areas and shower facilities
- Wash pet bedding and ensure pet areas are as tidy as possible
- Empty all bins, store rubbish away outside neatly
- Give your front door a fresh lick of paint if required
- Fix any paint chips, creaky or loose doors/ cupboards
- Repair any obvious wall holes or cracks
- Ensure gates and boundary fencing are in good repair
Omit odours and replace with fresh scents
- Bring outside in and open all windows/internal doors to air property
- Consider adding a vase of fresh flowers
- Make use of candles and diffusers, think fresh, inviting scent room sprays
- Avoid heavy bleach odour, replace with freshly baked bread, fresh coffee pot smells
Enhance garden space
- Thoroughly tidy garden area, sweep pathways
- Mow the lawn
- Get rid of the weeds, prune hedges and bushes
- Plant some new flowers and add patio planters where possible
- Make the most of seating and BBQ areas, as buyers are prioritising outside space
- Clean up the summer house/shed/garage, again potential space for home office/study
- Find out recent council tax, water rates, electricity and gas bills
- If you’ve had any new appliances such as a boiler recently fitted, leave out the receipts or guarantees for prospective buyers to see
- If any previous planning permission sought, find out documentation
- Repurpose unused spare rooms or rooms used as storage spaces
- Consider giving these areas a use, think home office, additional bedroom, home gym
- Rearrange furniture to maximise space to show prospective buyers alternative setups
Well done you are now Spring-sale prepared! Now that you have done all that hard work, make sure you don’t spend more than you need to in agency fees; shop around to find the right estate agent. For just a small upfront fee of £899+VAT or low 0.5% Selling Fee (No Sale, No Fee) saving you thousands, Check 4 Houses will expertly sell your house – giving you more to spend on your new home.
For a free valuation of your home, then please give us a call on 01252 819725 – we would be delighted to help.